Desktop Signal Sighting ( HD & VR)
- Manage several projects with any number of routes
- Multiple users each with their own discreet references and logs
- Switch between original footage & proposed scheme for assessment and planning
- Images, files and associated notes can be linked to any known or proposed location
- New layouts are modelled in 3d
- Screen capture with notes superimposed
- Basic height, offset & point to point measurements
- MRD calculation
- Forms the basis of a Driver Briefing Package
Typical data required
- Calibrated good quality HD footage if it exists or we can capture this ourselves
- Signalling scheme sketch or plan
- Agreed chainage/meterage line
- OS Tiles & Imagery from NR Portal
- List of Proposed signal positions
- Design drawings for remodelled sections
The Signal Sighting Process.
This process builds upon our Route Assessment system were the footage is correlated to the chainage specified by the project. – see separate leaflet for details.
Once a draft schemeplan is produced Gioconda will take this information and build virtual signal structures. These are augmented onto the footage that will be used by the Signal Sighting Committee or be included in a full 3d model. Gioconda suggests that the design team use the G-SST as an aid to self checking prior to going to SSC which can significantly reduce iterations & time.
The output of the Signal Sighting module can be projected through a High Definition Projector, allowing the Signal Sighting Committee a clear office based view of the proposals. By using two or three projectors or HD screens you can also benefit by displaying the SSF’s & schemeplans to reduce the need for hard copies. We also suggest, as part of the SSC meeting, the use of an admin assistant to fill in the SSF’s during the committee meeting. These can then be printed & signed off on the day.
The Signal Sighting Module includes functions to step back from a signal or move to any position in the rear. At all times a readout of the chainage and distance in rear is displayed. Obscurations can be assessed, along with minimum sighting distances and MRD can be calculated and automatically used. Where a full 3d model has been built we have full flxibility to change and edit any detail “on the fly”
The functionality of our software has been developed through use at numerous SSC meetings and is ideal for this situation.
Real-Time editing – either as part of the proofing or during the SSC session a trained power-user can move and alter the signal positions and content using our 3D application. 3D Signals and signage can be altered or swapped for alternative structures allowing for optioneering and for better sighting.
In most cases signals may be ‘signed off’ without the need for the whole committee to make a site visit. Where a signal is highlighted as a potential problem a site visit may be deemed necessary.
In either case, the SSC Chair should have visited the site or taken a CAB ride of the route for familiarisation.
The use of the G-RAST has obvious time & safety benefits. Recent Signal Sighting Committees have been able to examine in 15-30 signals in a day, as opposed to around 5 using traditional methods.
If SSC members have had no formal training in the use of Desktop Signal Sighting, Gioconda will provide an initial session to explain the accuracies, pitfalls and differences to alternative methods. This session will cover various issues including:
- Positional Accuracy
- Signal Drift – why this is not an issue with the Gioconda system.
- Visual Obscuration’s – how post processing makes this visually clear.